Taking part in the Rapha 500

Why take part in the challenge? Well, I like challenges and I need a goal to keep me motivated. Don't get me wrong I have the deepest respect for people who exercise for the sole benefit of their health, in fact I have friends who never take part in races but keep going year long. Me I am different, I need to set goals to stay active.

Thinking back I realize that what got to me last year was the winter blues, you may be familiar with the pattern: The weather is lousy, you don't feel like going out to train, the house is stocked with all sorts of tempting food and before you know it spring has arrived and you have gained 2-3 kg (4.40925-6.61387 pounds {google is my helper} for those of you accustomed  to imperial units).

So what better way is there to fight against weight gain than setting the goal of completing 500 km in the middle of winter when the house is full of turkey and sweets? Just to keep things interesting I have set the additional goal of cycling alone and finishing the challenge in as few days as possible. I know what you think and my answer is no: I am most definitely not a lonely person, in fact I love the company of others and this is not a form of self-punishment. My belief is that cycling alone has a cleansing effect: It's you, your bike and the open road, no one else is involved (OK there are a number of bakers and kiosk owners who help you avoid the bonk by selling you food and refreshments, but I digress). When you are alone you set your own pace, rest stops, nature breaks, buying food etc. Plus if you have a flat or other mechanical issue it's your luck you curse, not someone else 's.

My second goal of finishing in as few days as possible is simple: I am a wimp and I don't like cycling in the rain. I know that most of you who live in the Northern hemisphere must be laughing out loud, how is it possible to ride in the middle of winter without getting wet? My answer is that I am very lucky because I live in Greece and here we get extra help because of our mythology. In winter there are special days which are called  Halcyon days during which the weather is exceptionally calm. My plan is simply to take advantage of  Aeolus' mercy to keep my butt dry.

Having said too much, it's time to stop writing and start riding. Saddle up, clip on and start!

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου